The secret is out – the best way to streamline your business and optimize everything you do is through data center transformation. When you manage your data better and allow people to access it more easily, you naturally see productivity rise across the board, and that translates directly to stronger long-term results. A better data center means a better business. It really is that simple.
If you ask some IT decision-makers, the best way to overhaul your data infrastructure is to move everything to the cloud. That’s what the latest buzz says, anyway. But what if the buzz is wrong? The truth is, if you act too rashly and move your company’s data into the cloud without thinking, you could be opening yourself up to a whole lot of negative side effects. Among them are excessive costs, a lack of flexibility or visibility, and inconsistent performance over the long haul.
In many cases, the best approach to your data is actually an on-premises system. On-prem often gets a bad rap, but there are a wide range of reasons why it might meet your company’s needs far better than the cloud, depending on your circumstances. Today, let’s walk through a few of the pros of the on-prem strategy.
- You have complete control. Your company handles a lot of sensitive information, and you don’t want it slipping into the wrong hands. With on-prem, it won’t. You own your own data infrastructure, and you will always control who can have access and who can’t.
- You can achieve independence. When you go with a cloud vendor, you have to sign a long-term contract. Sometimes, you find yourselves locked into one deal for 10 or even 15 years. With on-prem, this isn’t a concern. You’re fully independent, and you can pivot to a new infrastructure whenever you want.
- You can keep costs manageable. Cloud vendors come with all sorts of hidden costs – subscription fees, technical support charges, and so on. With on-prem, you make one initial investment to build your infrastructure, then it’s smooth sailing after that. The long-term costs are lower.
- You’ve got a foundation to adapt from. A good business is an adaptable one, and on-prem can help with that. Once you’ve got a basic on-prem infrastructure in place, it’s easy to make modifications later as your business evolves. Whatever gaps you need to fill in, you can do so.
- You can make changes with ease. With a cloud solution, it’s not easy to integrate customized add-ons that can enhance the user experience. With an on-prem system, you have a wide range of customization options, and you can quickly make adjustments to meet people’s needs.
On-prem doesn’t get as much love these days as cloud, but it really is far superior in many cases. To learn more about these and other strategies for managing your data, keep reading our website. We can show you some of the wide-ranging work we’ve done in the world of Data Center Transformation.